Combine Photo Transfer Appliqués, Fabric Pieces, Computer Embroidered Designs and Machine Stitches!. Using KK 2000 to secure your appliqué, you can make an eye-catching Designer project with sparkling Sulky Red Sliver™ or Holoshimmer™ Metallic and your decorative machine stitches.
The vest is appliquéd both with a pre-embroidered Snowman from Carol's "Snow Family" Embroidery Card along with a sample of her original color art transferred to Viking's Colorfast Printer Fabric.What You Will Need
- Sewing Machine with Embroidery Unit
- Open-Toe Appliqué Foot, Edge Stitch Foot or 1/4" Foot
- Metallic Needles Size 14/90
2 one yard packages of Sulky black Totally Stable Iron-On Stabilizer
Optional: Sulky Black Soft 'n Sheer Stabilizer to use between vest layers for added stability
- Sulky KK 2000™ Temporary Spray Adhesive
2 spools Sulky Sliver Metallic #8014 Red
- 1 or More Embroidered Snowmen from Cactus Punch Signature Card #22 by Carol Ingram
- Wood Burning Tool
- 2 Snowmen designs transferred onto Viking's Colorfast Printer Fabric Sheets, or use cut-outs from Carol's Snow Follies by Fabric Traditions
- 1 yd. Dark Red Fossil Fern by Benartex
- 1/8 yd. Green Fossil Fern for Trees
- 1/2 yd. 60" Black Lightweight Wool or Poly-Blend Suiting
- 3/4 yd. Black Lining Material
- Favorite Tuxedo Vest Pattern
- 3 buttons
- Fine-Line, Permanent-Ink Black Marker
- Black Construction Thread
- Black Velcro Strips - 1/2" wide
- General Sewing Supplies
Cut, Stabilize and Spray KK 2000
- Cut 1 set of vest pattern pieces from the black suiting fabric or lightweight wool and one set from the black lining fabric. Set lining pieces aside for now.
- Iron Sulky Black Totally Stable onto the wrong side of the right and left vest pieces.
- From the red Fossil Fern Fabric, cut out 16 to 20 squares and rectangles, at least 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" and no larger than 4" x 4"; spray Sulky KK 2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive on the wrong side of them and position them in a pleasing manner on both of the vest fronts. No pinning!!!!
Stitch Around Red Fabric Pieces
- Using Sulky Poly Deco #1005 Black in the bobbin, thread the top with Sulky Sliver Metallic #8014 Red.
- Using various decorative stitches of your choice, appliqué each red fabric piece onto the vest fronts.
- Add optional fabric appliqué, green trees - pattern below.
Position & Appliqué Snowmen -
Spray Sulky KK 2000 on the wrong side of the Snowmen designs that you have transferred onto Viking's Colorfast Printer Fabric Sheets. (DO NOTSPRAYTHE VEST) You could also use cut-outs of Carol's FabricSnowmen. Position as desired on the left vest front and appliqué using a decorative stitch such as the blanket stitch, and Sulky Sliver Metallic #8014 Red.
- Embroider the snowmen on Sulky Soft 'n Sheer White Stabilizer, following the instructions for yourcomputerized embroidery machine. Cut away the excess stabilizer leaving about 1/8". Use a wood burning tool to burn away the remaining Soft 'n Sheer.
- Spray the back of the embroidered snowmen with KK 2000 and position them as desired on the right vest front. Applique using a medium zig-zag stitch and Sulky Metallic #8014 Red.
Lining the Vest
Remove the excess stabilizer from the back of the vest peices.
Optional: An inside layer of Sulky Black Soft 'n Sheer Stabilizer may be added for additional stability while quilting the final stitched piece, and to provide more body since this vest may be worn under a jacket or over ablouse or dress as a wardrobe accessory.
- Spray the wrong sides of the lining pieces with KK 2000 and adhere them to the wrong sides of the appliqued vest right and left fronts. No pinning!!
Quilt the Vest
Sliver Metallic #8014 Red, free-motion stipple stitch over both vest fronts, stitching over some of the squares and avoiding others for adecorative, texured look.After stippling, trim any irregular vest edges before applying the binding.
From thevest fabric, cut a 2-1/2" wide strip on the bias as long as is needed to go around the vest edges. Fold in half lengthwise and press. Match the raw edges of the bias binding to the raw edges of the right side
of each of the vest fronts and use regular sewing thread to stitchon the right side of the garment with a 1/4" seam allowance. Fold over the bias binding towards the back of the vest and stitch the folded edge down byhand or machine. Leave two 3" to 6" extensions (depending on your waist measurement) at the back edges for the back belt.
- Overlap the right vest front over the left vest front (approximately 1/2") at the center and stitch them together.
Add three buttons. Apply a 1" Velcro closure at the neck edge and a 2" Velcro closure on the waist ties.
Optional: Extended waist strips may be left long and tied at the back waist without adding the Velcro closure.
For the applique tree pattern we are providing it as a download from the browser below. You may click the image and then print the pattern that appears or you may save the image to your local hard drive.
The pattern is scaled to fit on an 8-1/2" X 11" piece of paper, though it might have to be rotated. If you wish to use a larger size, you can scale it up appropriately in your print dialog box or print it out as provided and enlarge it by some other means (copy machine, projector, local blueprint shop etc).
If you wish to save to your local hard drive proceed as follows:
PC users - right click on the image and select "save this image as..." in the pop up menu.
Mac users - control click to bring up the popoup menu and then select "save this image as...".