Frayed Print Upside Down Appliqué
What an easy way to show your colors – make it tonight!
- Sewing Machine and 14/90 needle
- USA Flag Print Fabrics
- Chose your favorite USA Flag Print
- Carol chose a combination of prints that she cut apart and repositioned to applique this child's ready-made sweatshirt. Trim your print for placement, leaving a 3/4" seam allowance all around the outside edges.
- Turn the sweatshirt inside out and place your trimmed flag print RIGHT SIDE DOWNon the INSIDE of the sweatshirt. To hold it in place spray a little KK 2000 on the right side of the print on the seam allowance areas only.
- Using regular sewing thread on top and Sulky Invisible Thread in the bobbin, straight stitch from the back, along the design lines, i.e., around the star and down the stripes.
- Spray KK 2000 on a sheet of Sulky Tear-Easy and place it over the back of the print on the inside of the sweatshirt. Turn the sweatshirt right side out.
- Thread the top with Sulky Holoshimmer #6045 Multi-color, and the bobbin with Sulky 40 wt. Rayon to match the sweatshirt. Choose an appropriate decorative stitch like the starburst stitch that Carol used.
- From the right side, stitch over all of the straight stitch lines.
- Carefully cut away within 1/4" of the stitching, all of the top sweatshirt layer covering the Star shapes and the Sripes print. Carefully clip notches in the remaining 1/4" to create a frayed look.
Wear with pride!