Photo Frame Pin Cushion
What You Will Need
- Sewing Machine
- Sulky KK 2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive
- Sulky Decorative Threads - your choice
- 1/4 yard each of two fabrics or 2 fat eighths, one light and one dark
- 1 sheet of 2" finished-size Triangle Paper
- Neutral Sewing Thread
- 3" x 4" Piece of Clear Vinyl
- Polyester Stuffing
- 3-4 Tablespoons of Rice
- 1/2" Bias Tape Maker
- Fine-Line, Permanent-Ink Marker
- Ruler, Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat
- General Sewing Supplies
- Divide the blocks into 2 groups of 6 each for the front and back. Arrange the blocks in a pleasing manner. Lots of different combinations/patterns can be formed. You can even create one design for the back and a different one for the front.
- Using a 1/4" seam, sew the blocks together to make 2 rectangles of 2 blocks x 3 blocks - one for the front and one for the back.
Select a decorative stitch. Use a Silky Rayon Thread of your choice and embellish over the seam lines and/or design lines of the blocks.
- From one of the left-over fabrics, make a piece of double-fold bias, approximately 18" to 20" long, to cover the outside edges of the 3" x 4" vinyl "frame". (To make the perfect tape, cut 1" fabric strips on the bias and feed them through a 1/2" bias tape maker.)
- Cover the two long edges of the vinyl with the bias tape and straight stitch along the top and bottom edges with your Sulky Rayon Thread. Fold the ends of the tape under for a smooth finish.
- Place the "frame" about 1-1/4" down from the top edge of the right side of the front, and centered between the two sides. Edge-stitch top, bottom and left side only, using the Sulky Rayon thread.
- Cut a 3-1/2" circle from each of the two project fabrics, or use contrasting fabrics. Trim off 1/4" from one of the circles so it is slightly smaller than the other.
- Divide each circle into fourths by folding each circle in half twice and pressing.
- On one circle, fold one creased edge to the center, and continue folding the edges (three times) to the center to form a hexagon (6 sides). Repeat for the other circle. Press to form sharp edges. Place the smaller hexagon on top of the larger one.
- Using the Sulky Rayon Thread, tack them together in the center with several small zig-zag stitches at 0 length.
Attach the flowers to the top left edge of the frame while making a fuzzy center for the flower by:
- lowering the feed dogs or putting the stitch length on 0;
- selecting a wide zig-zag of 6.0 or 7.0;
- zig-zagging in place several times, stopping in the center of the flower;
- rotating the fabric slightly and repeating stitching until you have made a "star" pattern;
- secure stitching by returning to straight stitch and stitching several times in the center.
- Place the two sets of pieced squares right sides together.
- Using the neutral sewing thread, begin stitching along one bottom, continuing around the sides until you reach the bottom again, leaving an opening to turn. Create a box bottom before turning by stitching across the bottom corners about 1/2" from the edge.
- Turn, fill with polyester stuffing, then add about 3-4 tablespoons of rice. Poke the rice into the batting so it will be easier to sew the bottom closed.
- Hand stitch the bottom. When sitting upright, the rice will fall to the bottom and add the needed weight.
- Insert the picture of your favorite person or pet in the vinyl frame and enjoy!
- Use two pieces of fabric 4-1/2" x 7" or one piece 4-1/2" x 14".
- Add appliqués to the back either by hand or machine.
- Do random decorative stitching with Sulky Thread all over the fabric, or just rows of decorative stitches.
- Make yo-yos instead of the folded flower and attach them with a decorative button or a covered button.
- Make a ruched flower with a button center.