Sulky Metallic Thread is a "must have" at Christmas for sewing everything bright and shiny! Let Cheryl show you how fast and easy it is to make a Quilt Without Corners© from her book of the same name..
- Fabric 45" Wide
- Color A - Interfaced Gold Lamé - 3/4 yd.
- Color B - Pine Green Christmas Floral - 3/4 yd.
- Color C - Red and Gold Fabric - 3/4 yd.
- Color D - Pine Green with Gold Pin Dot - 3/4 yd.
- Ruffle - Pine Green with Gold Pin Dot - 2 yds.
- Batting - 46" x 46"
- Backing - 1 5/8 yd. x 45", 60" or 90" wide
- Straight Stitch Sewing Machine with size 14/90 top-stitching machine needle
- Sulky Metallic Thread - 1 spool each of Gold #7007 and Christmas Red #7014
- 9° OR 10° Wedge Ruler*
- 12" Square and 6" x 24" Ruler
- Rotary Cutter and Mat
- #1 Safety Pins
- Wide Transparent tape
9° Wedge Ruler available from Marilyn Doheny, and marketed by Cutting Edge Quilt Designs, and should be available in most well-stocked quilt shops.
10° Wedge Ruler available from Phillips Fiber Art, phillipsfiberart.com, and should be available in most well-stocked quilt shops. Enjoy other 9° or 10° wedge ruler projects by Cheryl Phillips in her book, Quilts Without Corners.
Colors A, B, C, D
Cut 8 strips each - 2-3/4" wide
Since all strips are the same width, you may layer your fabric and cut all four colors at the same time. Pin and label color groups together.
Cut 8 strips - 8-1/2" wide
Sewing the Strip Sets
Use an exact 1/4" seam allowance throughout this pattern.
- Sew the strip sets together in the following order:
Strip Set 1 A-B-C-D-A-B-C-D
Strip Set 2 B-C-D-A-B-C-D-A
Strip Set 3 C-D-A-B-C-D-A-B
Strip Set 4 D-A-B-C-D-A-B-C
- Label each strip set (1,2,3, or 4) and indicate on the label which side is "top". Be careful not to turn the strip sets around.
- Iron strip sets 1 and 3 toward the top of the strip set and iron sets 2 and 4 toward the bottom of the strip set.
Cutting the Wedges
- Before cutting, place loops of wide transparent tape on the back of the Wedge Ruler to help keep it in place while cutting.
- Place the 9° or 10° Wedge Ruler on the strip set so the narrow end of the wedge is at the top of the strip set.
- Set the 12" line on the 4th or middle seam of the strip set.
- Cut 9 wedges if using the 10° wedge ruler, or 10 wedges if using the 9° wedge ruler, from each strip set. Keep them pinned together in sets. Label these wedge cut sets.
Constructing the Circle
- Sew each quarter circle into four Ten-Wedge-Units.
Unit 1: 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2
Unit 2: 3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4
Unit 3: 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2
Unit 4: 3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4
- Iron each Ten-Wedge-Unit, being careful not to stretch it.
- Using 12: Square Ruler, check to see that each Ten-Wedge-Unit is square. Adjust as necessary.
- Sew the four units together, leaving one side open to slip around your tree.
- Sew the ruffle strips together to form one long strip.
- Fold this strip in half lengthwise (with wrong sides together) and iron.
- Gather the ruffle along the raw edge.
- Pin the ruffle to the tree skirt. Adjust the ruffle fullness so that on ruffle section will fit five wedges.
- Sew the ruffle to the tree skirt. Press seam.
Layering the Quilt
- Layer the batting, Tree Skirt (right-side up) and the backing (right-side down) in this order.
- Pin along the Tree Skirt edge.
- With the ruffle lying toward the center of the tree skirt, trim the backing and batting to the edge of the Tree Skirt.
- Sew along the outside edge, the inner circle and one side. Leave one side open for turning.
- Cut batting and backing along the opening and inner circle.
- Turn the Tree Skirt to the outside.
- Hand stitch the opening closed
- Smooth the Tree skirt on a flat surface and pin the layers together with #1 safety pines.
- Set up machine for quilting:
- For quilting in Gold Lamé blocks, thread top with Sulky Red Metallic #7014 and a matching 40 wt. Sulky Rayon in the bobbin. When quilting in Pine Green Pin Dot blocks, use Sulky Gold Metallic #7007 on top and a matching Gold Sulky Rayon in the bobbin.
- Top Stitch Needle size 14/90.
- Reduce tension slightly.
Method I - Machine Feed
- Attach a Walking Foot if available.
- Set machine for normal straight stitch (12 stitches per inch).
Method II - Free Motion feeding
- Attach a Darning Foot and reduce foot pressure
- Set machine for zero width
- Cover or lower feed dogs
- To emphasize a swirling design, quilt from connecting corner to corner of squares A and C.
- Add a straight stitch starburst design in each block that the quilting line intersects